Blythewood in Richland County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Sandy Level Baptist Church
Twenty-Five Mile Creek Church, a Primitive Baptist congregation, was organized in this area before 1772. The mother church for several area Baptist churches, it was renamed Sandfield ca. 1830 and stood about 3 mi. E. Sandfield Baptist Church was renamed Sandy Level Baptist Church in 1843 and the congregation moved to this site in 1856.
This frame sanctuary, built in 1856 during the pastorate of Rev. A.K. Durham, was described at its dedication as being the result of “the liberal contributions and unfaltering zeal of this community.” Notable features include its large inset portico and interior gallery. The rear addition was built in 1950 to house the Sunday School and baptistry.
Erected 2007 by Sandy Level Baptist Church. (Marker Number 40-138.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1772.
Location. 34° 12.85′ N, 80° 59.381′ W. Marker is in Blythewood, South Carolina, in Richland County. Marker is on Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 408 Blythewood Road, Blythewood SC 29016, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bethel Baptist Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); George P. Hoffman House (approx. one mile away); Blythewood School (approx. 1.1 miles away); Sandfield Baptist Church / Sandfield Cemetery (approx. 2.9 miles away); Fairfield Institute / Kelly Miller (approx. 3.6 miles away); St. Paul Baptist Church (approx. 3.9 miles away); Little Zion Baptist Church (approx. 4.2 miles away); Killian Road Baptist Church Cemetery Confederate Soldiers Monument (approx. 6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Blythewood.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 1, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 766 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 1, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.