Blacksburg in Montgomery County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Clinton Harriman Cowgill
The founder of VPI's Department of Architectural Engineering, forerunner of today's Architecture program, Clinton H. Gowgill guided the department's growth from 34 students and two professors to 229 students and 13 professors. He wrote two books on architecture and buildings; served on the Virginia State Board for Examination and Certification of Professional Engineers, Architects, and Land Surveyors; and played a significant role in planning the physical development of the campus.
Cowgill Hall completed in 1969
Erected by VPI Class of 1953.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1969.
Location. 37° 13.786′ N, 80° 25.476′ W. Marker is in Blacksburg, Virginia, in Montgomery County. Marker can be reached from West Turner Street west of Stanger Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Blacksburg VA 24060, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Charles Henry Burchard (here, next to this marker); George Burke Johnston (within John William Hancock Jr. (within shouting distance of this marker); Lingan Strother Randolph (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Paul Neyron Derring (about 400 feet away); Earl Bertram Norris (about 500 feet away); Julian Ashby Burruss (about 700 feet away); William Bradford Alwood (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Blacksburg.
Also see . . . Cowgill Hall. Virginia Tech (Submitted on June 1, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 1, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 423 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 1, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.