Blacksburg in Montgomery County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
John McLaren McBryde
Known as the “Father of VPI,” John McLaren McBryde laid the foundation for modern Virginia Tech. He increased bachelor's degree offerings, added graduate programs, created an infirmary, and christened the motto Ut Prosim. The first president to encourage formation and growth of student activities, he was at the helm when the first football team was formed, school colors became orange and maroon, and a new nickname was born: Hokies.
McBryde Hall major construction completed in 1971
Erected by VPI Class of 1953.
Location. 37° 13.832′ N, 80° 25.273′ W. Marker is in Blacksburg, Virginia, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Stanger Street north of Drillfield Drive, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Blacksburg VA 24060, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William Addison Caldwell (within shouting distance of this marker); Roy Jay Holden (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Paul Ernest Torgersen William MacFarland Patton (about 600 feet away); Lingan Strother Randolph (about 600 feet away); Virginia Tech War Memorial Chapel (about 600 feet away); Earl Bertram Norris (about 700 feet away); Frederick Dewey Durham (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Blacksburg.
Also see . . . McBryde Hall. Virginia Tech (Submitted on June 2, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Education •
More. Search the internet for John McLaren McBryde.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 2, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 412 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 2, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.