Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Newcastle in Weston County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
 

Camp Jenney

 
 
Camp Jenney Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith L, September 21, 2006
1. Camp Jenney Marker
Inscription.  Camp site of the first authorized military expedition into the Black Hills. On September 12, 1857 Lt. G. K. Warren of the U. S. Topographical Engineers and his party, camped here and erected a log corral. (17 years before the famous Custer Expedition.) On June 3, 1875, the expedition headed by Professor Walter P. Jenney under military escort commanded by Col. R. I. Dodge of Ft. Laramie, camped on the location of Lt. Warren's camp and corral. A stockade was erected and became known as Camp Jenney. The stockade was a stop over for gold seekers during the winter 75 – 76 and later became a stage station. The stockade is now located by the Anna Miller Museum.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Exploration. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1848.
 
Location. 43° 48.96′ N, 104° 7.374′ W. Marker is near Newcastle, Wyoming, in Weston County. Marker is on U.S. 16, 3 miles east of U.S. 85, on the right when traveling east. Marker is at a pull-off. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newcastle WY 82701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Jenney Stockade (a few steps from this marker); Site of Field City
Eastbound View from Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith L, September 21, 2006
2. Eastbound View from Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. Ό mile away); Cheyenne – Deadwood Trail (approx. Ύ mile away); Accidental Oil Well (approx. one mile away); The Trains Power Newcastle (approx. 4.9 miles away); Cambria Powers the Trains (approx. 4.9 miles away); Hanging of Diamond L. Slim Clifton (approx. 4.9 miles away); Cambria (approx. 7.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newcastle.
 
Also see . . .  The 1874 Custer Expedition to the Black Hills. "...gold has been found...The nearly 1,200-mile expedition took sixty days, arriving back at Fort Abraham Lincoln on August 30, 1874. By the time Custer returned, the Black Hills gold rush was on." (Submitted on December 20, 2007.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 19, 2007, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,824 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 19, 2007, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=4304

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 15, 2022