West Columbia in Brazoria County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Near Site of First Capitol of the Republic of Texas
Near site of The First Capitol of the Republic of Texas
About 1833 Leman Kelsy built a story-and-a-half clapboard structure near this location. When Columbia became capital of the Republic of Texas in 1836, the building was one of two which housed the newly formed government. The First Republic of Texas Congress convened in Columbia. Here Sam Houston took office as President and Stephen F. Austin as Secretary of State. In 1837 the government moved to Houston. The 1900 storm destroyed the original capitol. The replica at this site was built in 1976-77.
Erected 1979 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9560.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & Settlers • War, Texas Independence. A significant historical year for this entry is 1833.
Location. 29° 8.673′ N, 95° 38.533′ W. Marker is in West Columbia, Texas, in Brazoria County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of North 14th Street and Hamilton Street. The replica of the First Capitol of the Republic of Texas is located behind Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 512 E Brazos Ave, West Columbia TX 77486, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Vietnam Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Columbia Rosenwald School (approx. ¼ mile away); In Memory of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. (approx. ¼ mile away); Religion in the New Capital (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Capitol Oak (approx. 0.3 miles away); From Republic to Statehood (approx. 0.3 miles away); Stephen Fuller Austin (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Brazos River and the Steamboat Yellowstone (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West Columbia.
More about this marker. Following the March 2 signing of the Texas Declaration of Independence and the formation of an ad interim government, Ad Interim President David G. Burnet named Columbia (now West Columbia) as the location for the October 1836 meeting of Congress. Two buildings served as the House of Representatives and Senate with a number of smaller log houses serving as offices and committee rooms. Sam Houston, the hero of San Jacinto, was inaugurated as the republic’s first president in Columbia on October 22. The first Congress ratified the Constitution, provided an army and a navy, created the judicial branch and postal department, established a financial system, adopted an official flag and seal and defined the boundaries of the new republic. The original senate building was torn down in 1888. The original House of Representatives building, known as the “old capitol” was destroyed by the 1900 storm; a replica was constructed in 1977.
Tours of the replica are available by calling the Columbia Historical Museum at 979-345-6125.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. The original site of the First Capitol is identified with a Texas State Historical Marker and the Capital of Texas Park.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 2, 2011, by Debbie A. Sutherland of West Columbia, Texas. This page has been viewed 5,496 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 2, 2011, by Debbie A. Sutherland of West Columbia, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.