Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbus in Muscogee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

St. Elmo

 
 
St. Elmo Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, April 30, 2011
1. St. Elmo Marker
Inscription.  “St. Elmo,” one of the most exquisite examples of the classic houses of America, stands in view of this point. It was built on the old Stagecoach Road, by Colonel Seaborn Jones, for his wife, Mary Howard Jones. Completed in 1833, it was originally called “Eldorado.” Here, Augusta Jane Evans visited her Aunt and found inspiration for her celebrated novel, “St. Elmo.”

As a member of Governor Troup’s staff, Seaborn Jones came to the site of Columbus with LaFayette in 1825. Lawyer, planter, solicitor-general of the Ocmulgee Circuit, (1817-1818), he was a member of Congress in 1835-45-47. President James K. Polk, President Millard Fillmore, Henry Clay, and General Winfield Scott were distinguished visitors entertained in this house by Colonel Jones.

In 1878, the place became the home of Captain and Mrs. James J. Slade, and the name changed to St. Elmo. Captain Slade once conducted a girls’ school here.
 
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 106-9.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list:
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #13 Millard Fillmore, the Georgia Historical Society, and the Lafayette’s Farewell Tour series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1833.
 
Location. 32° 29.367′ N, 84° 57.979′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Georgia, in Muscogee County. Marker is on 18th Avenue, 0.1 miles south of St. Elmo Drive, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2808 18th Avenue, Columbus GA 31901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Leonard Spring (approx. 0.3 miles away); “Wildwood” (approx. half a mile away); Secondary Industrial School (approx. 0.6 miles away); Eugene J. Bullard, 1895-1961 / World’s First Black Combat Aviator (approx. 0.7 miles away); He Helped Bring And Keep Fort Benning (approx. one mile away); Carson McCullers (approx. 1.2 miles away); Rose Hill / Mott-Fox-Huguley House (approx. 1.2 miles away); Colored Department of the City Hospital / Doctors and Nurses (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
 
Also see . . .  St Elmo - Historic Architecture and Landscapes of Georgia
St. Elmo Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, April 30, 2011
2. St. Elmo Marker
. Digital Library of Georgia (Submitted on June 18, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.) 
 
St. Elmo image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, April 30, 2011
3. St. Elmo
Completed in 1833.
St. Elmo, Talbottan Ave. at 29 th St., Columbus, Muscogee County, Georgia image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Frances Benjamin Johnston, 1939
4. St. Elmo, Talbottan Ave. at 29 th St., Columbus, Muscogee County, Georgia
Library of Congress [LC-J7-GA- 1059-A]
St. Elmo, northwest view image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Branan Sanders, March 1934
5. St. Elmo, northwest view
Library of Congress [HABS GA,108-COLM,6-3]
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 4, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,132 times since then and 105 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 4, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   4, 5. submitted on June 18, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=43119

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 23, 2024