Springfield in Greene County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
First Post Office in Springfield
Near this spot was located the first post office in Springfield, in a one story, hewed log cabin, occupied by John Polk Campbell, who was appointed postmaster, Jan. 3, 1834. Mail was brought on horseback twice a month from Harrison's Store, on Little Piney, near the present town of Arlington.
The following postmasters have served Springfield:
Campbell, John Polk 1 3 1834
Campbell, Junius T. 1 20 1836
Shannon, Thomas 2 16 1841
Farmer, William B. 6 16 1841
McElhany, Robert J. 10 24 1845
Apperson, Peter 3 22 1849
Farmer, William B. 9 8 1849
Holland, Colly B. 8 26 1852
Ingram, Archibald F. 6 11 1853
Jones, William 8 15 1854
Beal, Joseph A. 5 8 1855
Burden, Joseph 6 7 1855
Robinson, Nathan 9 25 1855
Kite, Benjamin 3 19 1861
Winger, Jacob B. 3 8 1864
Boyd, Marcus 8 23 1866
Stephens, Permilla C. 4 11 1867
Shipley, Edward R. 5 8 1877
Pipkin, William H. 11 7 1885
Abbott, James 2 11 1890
Love, Thomas C. 2 21 1894
Fenton, Jeremiah 3 9 1898
Ross, Jesse B. 8 4 1902
McJimsey, E. E. E. 4 11 1910
Mitchell, Obadiah C. 3 19
Hendrickson, George W. 8 24 1921
Erected 1934 by University Club. (Marker Number 19.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Postal Mail and Philately 📭 series list. A significant historical date for this entry is January 3, 1833.
Location. 37° 12.428′ N, 93° 17.404′ W. Marker is in Springfield, Missouri, in Greene County. Marker is at the intersection of Jefferson Avenue and Walnut Street, on the right when traveling south on Jefferson Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 333 East Walnut Street, Springfield MO 65806, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Paul United Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); The Landers Theatre (within shouting distance of this marker); Jewell Theater (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Colonial Hotel (about 600 feet away); John T. Woodruff (about 700 feet away); Gillioz Theater (about 700 feet away); Battle of Springfield (about 700 feet away); Lynching in America / The Lynchings of Horace B. Duncan, Fred Coker and William Allen (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Springfield.
Also see . . .
1. Springfield-Greene County Local History(Submitted on June 4, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. This Week in the Ozarks - Springfield News-Leader History Column (12/28/2015). ...Jan. 3, 1934: To celebrate the centennial of John Polk Campbell being appointed as Springfield’s first postmaster, the University Club dedicated a marker on the site of Springfield’s first post office. The post office in 1834 was a log cabin on the corner of Walnut Street and Jefferson Avenue. Professor James Shannon, of the State Teachers College, was the dedication speaker. He discussed the history of mail-carrying. Since its establishment, the Springfield post office had 25 postmasters and one postmistress. The post office saw many moves between its initial housing in the log cabin and 1894, when it was moved to the federal building. For a number of years starting in 1870 there was a post office in North Springfield, and a south-side location was opened in 1909. (Submitted on December 28, 2015.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 4, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 683 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 4, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.