Kearney in Kearney County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Despite its lack of fortifications, Fort Kearny served as a way station, sentinel post, supply depot, and message center for 49'ers bound for California and homeseekers traveling to Oregon and the Pacific Northwest. By the 1860's the fort had become a significant stage and freighting station and home station of the Pony Express. During the Indian Wars of 1864-1865 a small stockade was apparently built upon the earth embankment still visible. Although never under attack, the post did serve as an outfitting depot for several Indian campaigns.
One of the fort's final duties was the protection of workers building the Union Pacific. In 1871, two years after the completion of the transcontinental railroad,
Erected by Nebraska Games and Parks Commission and the Nebraska State Historical Society. (Marker Number 229.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Forts and Castles. In addition, it is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1842.
Location. 40° 38.526′ N, 99° 0.41′ W. Marker is in Kearney, Nebraska, in Kearney County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of V Road (State Highway 50A) and Road 29. Marker is located within Fort Kearney State Historical Park between the Blacksmith Shop and the fort replica. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1020 V Road, Kearney NE 68847, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dobytown (approx. 2 miles away); The Burlington & Missouri River Railroad (approx. 2.9 miles away); The Great Platte River Road (approx. 4.1 miles away); Historic Kearney (approx. 5.3 miles away); Site of Bauer Drug (approx. 5.3 miles away); Kearney (approx. 5.3 miles away); Boyd House (approx. 5.3 miles away); Old Oregon Trail (approx. 5.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kearney.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 31, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 8, 2011, by Rebecca Maxwell of Boise, Idaho. This page has been viewed 889 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 8, 2011, by Rebecca Maxwell of Boise, Idaho. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.