La Porte in LaPorte County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Rumely Companies
Meinrad Rumely (1823-1904), a German immigrant, founded a blacksmith shop here 1853, which grew into a dominant company through reorganizations and acquisitions. Rumely companies in La Porte benefited from available rail transportation plus German and later Polish immigrant laborers. Products included a wide variety of agricultural machines.
Rumely's prizewinning thresher later became one of the earliest powered by steam. Thousands of OilPull tractors sold worldwide 1910-1930. Rumely companies were at the forefront of mechanization of American and world agriculture and had significant impact on La Porte. Allis-Chalmers acquired the firm 1931 and closed La Porte plant 1983.
Erected 2003 by Indiana Historical Bureau, and Rumely Historic Recognition Committee. (Marker Number 46.2003.1.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Indiana Historical Bureau Markers series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1853.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 680 Madison St, La Porte IN 46350, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Meinrad Rumely (here, next to this marker); Site of Meinrad Rumely's Blacksmith Shop (within shouting distance of this marker); LaPorte County Courthouse (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); World War Memorial Tree LaPorte County (Indiana) (about 700 feet away); LaPorte's Carnegie Library (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Lincoln Highway (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Lincoln Highway in La Porte County (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Log Cabin in LaPorte (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in La Porte.
Also see . . . Photos of Dedication (Courtesy - Indiana Historical Bureau):. (Submitted on January 22, 2013, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 23, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 13, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 452 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 13, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.