Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Meyers in El Dorado County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Yank’s Added Station

 
 
Yank’s Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Karen Key, June 18, 2006
1. Yank’s Marker
front side of marker
Inscription.  >br>(back) The Hawley Grade from April 3, 1860 to November 17, 1860 was used by the Pony Express. On November 18, 1860 the new toll road down Johnson Pass (Echo Summit), today’s Old Meyers Grade, was opened to horse traffic and was now used by the Pony Express. It was built by David Demmen Kingsbury and John McDonald. This new route was opened to wagons on February 5, 1861.

At the foot of the new grade was the Osgood Toll House run by Neamiah “Nemi” Osgood.

The former “Lake Valley House” Pony Express Station located a the foot of the Hawley Grade was replaced by “Yank’s” Pony Express Station. It was named after Ephraim “Yank” Clement. He sold it to George Meyers in 1873 and C.G. Celio & Sons acquired it in 1903. “Yank’s” Station was destroyed by the November 25, 1938 Meyers Fire. © 2002 Joe Nardone

In Search of the Pony Express Station Marker • Dedicated September 14, 2002 • Yank’s Added Station • Nov. 18, 1860– Nov. 20, 1861 • Site Located 210° true and 105′.

[Dedicated] By James Stretesky, Lira’s Supermarket, William & Judith Schatz, Tahoe Heritage Foundation, The
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Pioneering Celio Family, Lake Tahoe Historical Society, Pony Express Trail Association.
 
Erected 2002.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: CommunicationsSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Pony Express National Historic Trail series list. A significant historical month for this entry is February 1827.
 
Location. 38° 51.353′ N, 120° 0.778′ W. Marker is in Meyers, California, in El Dorado County. Marker is on Lincoln Highway (U.S. 50) west of Apache Avenue, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2977 Lincoln Highway, South Lake Tahoe CA 96150, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Yank’s Station (here, next to this marker); John (Snowshoe) Thompson (here, next to this marker); Johnson Cutoff - Ascent of Johnson Pass (approx. 2.1 miles away); Luther Pass Trail - Prepared for the Ascent (approx. 2.1 miles away); Site of Echo Summit (approx. 3.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Meyers.
 
Also see . . .
1. The Pony Express. Gold Rush Chronicles website entry (Submitted on July 12, 2006, by Karen Key of Sacramento, California.) 

2. Pony Express National Historic Trail. National
Yank’s Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Karen Key, June 18, 2006
2. Yank’s Marker
back side of marker
Park service website entry (Submitted on October 14, 2006, by Karen Key of Sacramento, California.) 
 
Yank’s Marker and other nearby markers image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Karen Key, June 18, 2006
3. Yank’s Marker and other nearby markers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 21, 2022. It was originally submitted on July 12, 2006, by Karen Key of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 2,650 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 12, 2006, by Karen Key of Sacramento, California. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=435

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 25, 2024