Brevard in Transylvania County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Biltmore Forest School
Founded September 1, 1898
of the school building, is erected
in honor of
Dr. C.A. Schenck
founder of the
Biltmore Forest School,
the first school of forestry
in the United States
The Alumni - 1950
Erected 1950 by Biltmore Forest School Alumni.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Horticulture & Forestry. A significant historical year for this entry is 1950.
Location. 35° 21.069′ N, 82° 46.746′ W. Marker is in Brevard, North Carolina, in Transylvania County. Marker can be reached from U.S. 276, half a mile south of Yellow Gap Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pisgah Forest NC 28768, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Schoolhouse (a few steps from this marker); Moon Tree (within shouting distance of this marker); Commissary (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ranger's Dwelling (about 500 feet away); Hell Hole (about 500 feet away); Draw Road (about 500 feet away); Wash PlaceBlacksmith (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brevard.
Also see . . . Cradle of Forestry National Forest Historic Site. The Birthplace of Forest Conservation in America (Submitted on June 23, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 9, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 19, 2011, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 742 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on June 19, 2011, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. 2, 3. submitted on December 9, 2013, by William Henry Myers III of Seneca, South Carolina. 4. submitted on June 26, 2011, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on June 19, 2011, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. 9. submitted on June 23, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.