Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Mukwonago in Waukesha County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Heaven City

 
 
Heaven City Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Linda Hansen, 2009
1. Heaven City Marker
Inscription.  This land was a favorite place for the Native Americans. The first white settler/owner Gaius Munger noted for maple syrup production. Other owners; Abraham Perkins-sheep raiser, Wisconsin Central R.R. promoter; Philip Best-Milw. brewer and stock raiser; Thomas Spence-Shetland pony raiser; George Schuster-Milw. tobaccoist, built large Spanish style home; and Lloyd Dewey-gambler. In 1932 Chicago street preacher A.J. Moore purchased site for commune prototype, “Heaven City”. The commune failed and buildings were added in early 1940s to convert it to a commercial hotel/resort. Lavish accommodations and meals attracted underworld types for get-away weekends. After many business problems there has been a series of owners; Pat Talcott, Cindy and Richard Wilkening and now Ralph & Carol Hibbard.
 
Erected 1999 by Waukesha County Historical Society. (Marker Number 18-01.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Entertainment. A significant historical year for this entry is 1932.
 
Location. 42° 52.666′ N, 88° 18.178′ W. Marker is in Mukwonago
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
, Wisconsin, in Waukesha County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of National Avenue and Edgewood Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: S91 W27850 National Ave, Mukwonago WI 53149, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mukwonago (approx. 1.8 miles away); Town of Vernon (approx. 2.8 miles away); Dodges Corners Cemetery (approx. 3.2 miles away); South Shore Cars Come to East Troy (approx. 3.3 miles away); Village of Big Bend (approx. 4.7 miles away); Haseltine Cobblestone House (approx. 4.9 miles away); Saylesville (approx. 5 miles away); The Reformed Presbyterian Church of Vernon (approx. 5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mukwonago.
 
Regarding Heaven City. The first owner, Gaius Munger, was given a quarter-section land grant by the government. The next owner, Abraham Perkins, raised sheep. Philip Best, purchased the property as a stock farm for his work horses. Thomas Spence, a plumbing manufacturer, raised Shetland Ponies on the property. George Schuester grew acres of tobacco on the farm. His Spanish-style home was a copy of a house in Palm Springs, FL. Lloyd Dewey not only farmed the land but also ran an amusement park on the river there called Potawatomi Park. He eventually lost the property in a card game in East Troy. In 1932 A.J. Moore bought 50 acres from
Heaven City Restaurant image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Linda Hansen, 2009
2. Heaven City Restaurant
the bank and named it “Heaven City” as a place to continue his religious beliefs in a prototype commune he had started in Illinois. After the commune failed in the 1940s “Heaven City” transitioned to more commercial ventures.
 
Also see . . .  Heaven City Restaurant. A Wisconsin Historical Site (Submitted on June 16, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.) 
 
Heaven City Restaurant image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Linda Hansen, 2009
3. Heaven City Restaurant
Heaven City Buildings image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Linda Hansen, 2009
4. Heaven City Buildings
Heaven City Buildings image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Linda Hansen, 2009
5. Heaven City Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 3, 2011, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 4,118 times since then and 342 times this year. Last updated on June 20, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 3, 2011, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=43592

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 18, 2024