Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lisbon in Waukesha County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Town of Lisbon

 
 
Town of Lisbon Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Paul F, September 8, 2010
1. Town of Lisbon Marker
Inscription.  The Town of Lisbon was once part of Wayne County (Detroit), then Brown County (Green Bay), Milwaukee County and finally Waukesha County in 1846. The first male settler was Thomas S. Redford (1818-1903). He claimed 160 acres May 15, 1836. Melinda Weaver (1813-1886) was the first female settler arriving in March 1837.

Lisbon had its first official meeting April 15, 1842 in the future Lisbon Plank Schoolhouse. Lisbon, being part of “Cow County, U.S.A.” had many large dairy farms.

Industry also grew from glacial gravel deposits and the underlying Niagara Reef dolomite limestone. The Lisbon population was 1,158 in 1940 and 9,125 in 2000. A sesquicentennial party of the coming of the first settler was celebrated in 1986. Lisbon celebrated the 2000 Millenium by putting a time capsule below, to be opened on May 15, 2036, the 200th year of the coming of the first settler.
 
Erected 2000 by Waukesha County Historical Society. (Marker Number 13-05.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
. In addition, it is included in the Time Capsules series list. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1837.
 
Location. 43° 8.927′ N, 88° 14.587′ W. Marker is in Lisbon, Wisconsin, in Waukesha County. Marker is at the intersection of Good Hope Road and Hillside Road, on the left when traveling east on Good Hope Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sussex WI 53089, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sixteen School (within shouting distance of this marker); Zion Evangelical Cemetery (approx. 1.2 miles away); George Washington Burr Oak (approx. 1.3 miles away); St. Alban’s Episcopal Church (approx. 1.4 miles away); First Woman in Town of Lisbon (approx. 1.4 miles away); Sussex Mills and Bug Line RR (approx. 1˝ miles away); Mammoth Spring Hotel - Saloon (approx. 2 miles away); Plainview School No. 4 (approx. 2.7 miles away).
 
Town of Lisbon Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Paul F, September 8, 2010
2. Town of Lisbon Marker
Town of Lisbon Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Paul F, September 8, 2010
3. Town of Lisbon Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 6, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 10, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 958 times since then and 53 times this year. Last updated on June 20, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 10, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=43607

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 22, 2024