Lisbon in Waukesha County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Plainview School No. 4
This new one-room cream brick structure was completed in November of 1870 at a cost of $1,400.
Lisbon District #4 did not have a name until 1920 when an appropriate name “Plainview” was chosen as it was in plain view. It remained a one-room school house until 1952. Since then, it has served as a private residence.
Erected 2008 by Waukesha County Historical Society. (Marker Number 13-04.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical date for this entry is February 1, 1837.
Location. 43° 9.771′ N, 88° 17.54′ W. Marker is in Lisbon, Wisconsin, in Waukesha County. Marker is at the intersection of Plainview Road and Lake Five Road, on the right when traveling east on Plainview Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hartland WI 53029, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Village of Merton (approx. 1.2 miles Martin C. Weber, Sr. (approx. 1.3 miles away); First Baptist Church Of Merton (approx. 1.4 miles away); a different marker also named First Baptist Church Of Merton (approx. 1.4 miles away); Town of Lisbon (approx. 2.7 miles away); Sixteen School (approx. 2.7 miles away); Monches (approx. 3 miles away); Beaumont Hop House (approx. 3.1 miles away).
1. One-Room School
Built in 1870 at a cost of nearly $1400, the Plainview School was the second building to serve the district established in 1844 and previously housed in a log cabin. This cream brick building usually served as a one-room school for between 20-40 children of rural county farm families until 1952. Notably, during the two school years between 1945-47, local children were sent to other county grade schools while the district unsuccessfully sought to hire a new teacher. After the completion of a "modern" two-room school in 1952, this building passed through several local owners for use as a private residence.
Students arrived at Plainview School, at the intersection of Plainview and Lake Five Roads, most often on bikes or
On Aug. 10, 2008, a reunion of nearly 50 former teachers and students gathered in a nearby park to share memories of the school and community. After a picnic lunch, attendees were able to tour the old school thanks to the courtesy of its current occupants, Jay and Kelly Meissner. Jay's father, John, organized the reunion and was a student at the school from 1949-52.
— Submitted May 31, 2011, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 6, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 10, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,026 times since then and 61 times this year. Last updated on June 20, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 10, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. 4. submitted on May 31, 2011, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.