Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cleveland in White County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Cleveland

 
 
Cleveland Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, June 18, 2011
1. Cleveland Marker
Inscription.  When White County was formed in 1857, Mt. Yonah was selected as the County-seat. The majority of its residents wished to rename it Sheltonville for William H. Shelton, who sponsored the formation of the new county. Shelton asked that it be named Cleveland for his good friend and mentor, Benjamin Cleveland, who served 6 terms as representative, 8 terms as senator from Habersham County and was Brigadier-General from 1820 to 1826. Built of hand-made brick by slave labor, the White County Courthouse is modelled after Independence Hall in Philadelphia.
 
Erected 1955 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 154-4.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Political Subdivisions. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1857.
 
Location. 34° 35.813′ N, 83° 45.794′ W. Marker is in Cleveland, Georgia, in White County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (U.S. 129) and Kytle Street (Georgia Route 115), in the median on Main Street. The
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
marker stands at the old White County Courthouse, now museum. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cleveland GA 30528, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. White County (a few steps from this marker); Old White County Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); Mustering Grounds (within shouting distance of this marker); White County's Gold (within shouting distance of this marker); Mossy Creek and Rock Springs Campgrounds (approx. 5.6 miles away); Discovery of Gold (approx. 5.8 miles away); Nacoochee Indian Mound (approx. 6.8 miles away); Nacoochee Mound (approx. 6.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cleveland.
 
Cleveland Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, June 18, 2011
2. Cleveland Marker
Cleveland Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, June 18, 2011
3. Cleveland Marker
The marker with the old White County Courthouse in the background.
White County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, June 18, 2011
4. White County Courthouse
The Old White County Courthouse, built in 1860 and now a museum; the marker stands just to the left of the left edge of the image.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 23, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 870 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 23, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=43702

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 25, 2024