San Felipe in Austin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
A Town Hall
A Town Hall
Built about 1830
in which were held
the First and Second Conventions
of Texas, 1832 and 1833,
and the Consultation of 1835
the provisional government functioned
here until March 2, 1836, when the
Republic was formed at
the building was burned with the town,
March 29, 1836, to prevent its falling
into the hands of the advancing
Erected by the State of Texas
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 5514.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Settlements & Settlers • War, Texas Independence. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list. A significant historical date for this entry is March 2, 1927.
Location. 29° 48.429′ N, 96° 5.922′ W. Marker is in San Felipe, Texas, in Austin County. Marker can be reached from Farm to Market 1458Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: San Felipe TX 77473, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Toward Revolution (a few steps from this marker); The Burning of San Felipe (a few steps from this marker); J.J. Josey General Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Austin's Colony: First Colony in Mexican Texas (within shouting distance of this marker); Stephen F. Austin, Father of Texas (within shouting distance of this marker); San Felipe de Austin Colonial Well (within shouting distance of this marker); Remembering San Felipe de Austin (within shouting distance of this marker); San Felipe de Austin Town Site (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Felipe.
Also see . . . The Colonial Capital of Texas. Friends of the San Felipe de Austin State Historic Site (Submitted on June 26, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 26, 2011, by Steve Henderson of Marble Falls, Texas. This page has been viewed 785 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on June 24, 2011, by Steve Henderson of Marble Falls, Texas. 2. submitted on September 20, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.