San Felipe in Austin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
J.J. Josey General Store
Moved 1 mile east to T.W.N.G. Railroad, 1880. Moved back to original site and restored, 1962. Opened as a museum, 1964, by Stephen F. Austin State Park Association.
Erected 1987 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2678.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & SettlersWar, Texas Independence. A significant historical year for this entry is 1847.
Location. 29° 48.422′ N, 96° 5.904′ W. Marker is in San Felipe, Texas, in Austin County. Marker can be reached from Farm to Market 1458 0.2 miles north of 2nd Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: San Felipe TX 77473, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Austin's Colony: First Colony in Mexican Texas (a few steps from this marker); Toward Revolution (a few steps from this marker); The Burning of San Felipe (within shouting distance of this marker); A Town Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Stephen F. Austin, Father of Texas (within shouting distance of this marker); San Felipe de Austin Colonial Well (within shouting distance of this marker); Remembering San Felipe de Austin (within shouting distance of this marker); Welcome to San Felipe de Austin (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Felipe.
Also see . . . The Colonial Capital of Texas. Friends of the San Felipe de Austin State Historic Site (Submitted on June 26, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.)
1. Spelling error in the marker.
The word Commercio (Spanish for "Commerce") is misspelled and should be Comercio.
— Submitted November 6, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 26, 2011, by Steve Henderson of Marble Falls, Texas. This page has been viewed 960 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on June 24, 2011, by Steve Henderson of Marble Falls, Texas. 2. submitted on April 30, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.