Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Grantsville in Garrett County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Stantonís Mill

Spruce Forest Artisan Village History Walk

 
 
Stanton's Mill Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, June 7, 2006
1. Stanton's Mill Marker
Inscription.  In 1797, Thomas Stanton conveyed water rights to Jesse Tomlinson, and Tomlinson built the first grist mill on the site of Col. Dunbar's 1755 hospital encampment.

The mill was prime reason for settlement in this area. In addition to being an important source of grain products for man and beast, the mill served as the nerve center for the area—a place for voting, bartering and news-gathering. Like the three roads and the three bridges nearby, the mill represents major epochs in milling: undershot wheel, 1797–1898; overshot wheel, 1899–1927; modified water-driven turbine, 1928–1943; electric power, 1944-present.

In the 1860s, the mill property was returned to Stanton ownership when it was purchased by William Stanton. The mill was operated by Stantons for five generations until 1989, when Penn Alps purchased the mill from Byron Robert Bender.

Plans are under way for the restoration of Stanton's Mill and with it, a major part of the region's story. All information, stories, restoration expertise and donations are welcome.
 
Erected by Spruce Forest Artisan
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Village.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1797.
 
Location. 39° 41.796′ N, 79° 8.4′ W. Marker is in Grantsville, Maryland, in Garrett County. Marker is on Casselman Road, 40 miles west of National Road, on the right when traveling west. Marker is behind Penn Alps Restaurant. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 84 Casselman Road, Grantsville MD 21536, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bear Hill School (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of the National Pike Blacksmith Shop (about 500 feet away); Yoder House (about 500 feet away); Schrock Cabin (about 500 feet away); Compton School (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grantsville.
 
More about this marker. Marker is one of the Spruce Forest Artisan Village History Walk markers.
 
Stanton's Mill and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, June 7, 2006
2. Stanton's Mill and Marker
Stanton's Mill image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, June 7, 2006
3. Stanton's Mill
Stanton's Mill Bridge image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Christopher Busta-Peck, September 22, 2007
4. Stanton's Mill Bridge
This bridge, on an old National Road alignment, carried the road over the millrace for Staton's Mill. The mill can be seen in the background.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 15, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 16, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 2,605 times since then and 66 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 16, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.   4. submitted on February 15, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos inside the mill • Can you help?

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=438

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 21, 2024