Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sauk Centre in Stearns County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

The Episcopal Church of the Good Samaritan

 
 
The Episcopal Church of the Good Samaritan Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Beverly Pfingsten, June 5, 2011
1. The Episcopal Church of the Good Samaritan Marker
Inscription.  Designed by its first Vicar, the Reverend George Stewart, this is the oldest church building in continuous use in Sauk Centre. Construction was begun in the spring of 1869 and completion of the $6700 structure was made possible by a $2000 gift sent from New York by Mrs. Robert B. Minturn as a memorial to her husband.

The church was consecrated by the Right Reverend Henry Benjamin Whipple, first Bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Minnesota. On Christmas Eve of 1869 the first worship service included the wedding of Miss Nellie Barrows and Captain Oakford.

On January 23, 1870, the Parish of the Good Samaritan was formally organized. Many of Sauk Centre's founding families were among the more than fifty original members. The Gothic Revival architecture, combined with the fifty-foot steeple on the east end of the building, brought a kind of old world charm to the frontier town. The stained-glass windows were shipped from Pennsylvania and hauled to Sauk Centre by ox team from the nearest rail point. Only the window in the sacristy is an original, given in memory of Mrs. Rachel Moore by her son Alexander.

This small parish has had a strong ministry

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of music under the leadership of Dr. John Carton Grant, organist and choirmaster for more than thirty years until his death in 1984. The Episcopal Choirmaster's Handbook, devised by Dr. Grant in 1957, is distributed nationwide and abroad. Throughout their history, Episcopalians have preserved the ideals and traditions of the church. In such a reflection lies the value of history, for through it, we may remember and record the lives and loyalties of those who have come before us.
 
Erected 1997 by Parish of the Episcopal Church of the Good Samaritan.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1863.
 
Location. 45° 44.017′ N, 94° 57.097′ W. Marker is in Sauk Centre, Minnesota, in Stearns County. Marker is on Main Street S., on the right. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 529 Main Street S, Sauk Centre MN 56378, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Main Street (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sinclair Lewis (approx. 0.4 miles away); Sinclair Lewis Boyhood Home (approx. 0.4 miles away); Boyhood Home of Sinclair Lewis (approx. 0.4 miles away); Osakis Armed Forces Memorial (approx. 12.9 miles away).
 
The Episcopal Church of the Good Samaritan image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Pfingsten, June 5, 2011
2. The Episcopal Church of the Good Samaritan
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 27, 2011, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 695 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 27, 2011, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=43826

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 25, 2024