Columbus in Muscogee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
First Presbyterian Church
The Presbyterians were granted one of the original church lots in the 1828 Columbus plan. It was on the North side of Chapel St. between Second and Third Avenues. The fourteen charter members, received in 1830, were: Edward Featherston, William Root, James S. Norman, Richard T. Marks, David Dean, Thomas B. McCreary, John Johnson, Mrs. Jane L. Marks, Mrs. Leah J. Norman, Mrs. Harriet A. Root, Mrs. Miriam Dean, Mrs. Sarah DeGraffenried, Mrs. Eliza Bullock, Miss Rebecca Featherston. In 1831 the congregation was granted a lot at the N.E. corner of Second Ave. and Tenth St., where services were held for thirty years. The move to Eleventh St. and First Ave. came in 1862.
The First Presbyterian Church building on the Northeast corner of Eleventh St. and First Ave. was dedicated in 1862. In 1891 the sanctuary was severely damaged by fire. It reopened for services in 1893. After the fire, the “city” clock was placed in the bell tower. The design of the building is Romanesque. Wings were constructed in 1925 and a free-standing chapel in 1952. Renovations were made in 1969 and
Erected 1990 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the First Presbyterian Church.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1828.
Location. 32° 28.033′ N, 84° 59.495′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Georgia, in Muscogee County. Marker is at the intersection of First Avenue and 11th Street, on the right when traveling north on First Avenue. The marker is located at the north side of the main sanctuary on First Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1100 First Avenue, Columbus GA 31901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Trinity Episcopal Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Columbian Lodge No. 7, Free & Accepted Masons Columbus, Georgia (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Confederate Memorial Day (about 400 feet away); Kirven's Department Store (about 500 feet away); City of Columbus (about 500 feet away); Dr. Thomas H. Brewer (about 600 feet away); Oglethorpe HouseFirst Baptist Church (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 29, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 518 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 29, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.