Carlisle in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Presidentís House
ó Walking Tour Stop 15 ó
In 1889, Dickinson College President George Reed (no relation) purchased the property. He sold it to the college, and it has since served as home to Dickinsonís presidents. Changes to the house have included the addition of second and third floors, a new northern faÁade, extensive landscaping and the removal of stucco to reveal the homeís natural brick exterior.
An elegant blend of old and new, the Presidentís House is a center of campus activity and a source of inspiration for the education of citizen-leaders, reflecting the historic significance and bold future of Dickinson College.
Erected by Historic Carlisle, Inc.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Carlisle PA 17013, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The John Dickinson Campus of Dickinson College (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Benjamin Rush (within shouting distance of this marker); West College: A National Historic Landmark (within shouting distance of this marker); George Washington (within shouting distance of this marker); Dickinson College (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Thomas Butler (about 600 feet away); James Wilson (about 700 feet away); The High Street Train Stations (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Carlisle.
More about this marker. Two photographs of the Presidentís House, courtesy of Dickinson College Archives, appear on the marker. A nineteenth photo has a caption of “In 1890 the “villa” was enlarged to include a second story.” The other photo has a caption of “By 1930, when the house was painted white, a wrap-around front porch had been added.”
Also see . . . President's House. Details of Dickinson Collegeís Presidentís House, including images of the house. (Submitted on June 29, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 29, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 379 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 29, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.