Downieville in Sierra County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
One of the first buildings in Downieville, built in 1852 this stone building was originally known as the Old Slate Store. The walls of this building are made entirely of flat rocks laid horizontally. It was first used as a Chinese store with gambling and opium in the back. It later became the J.M.B. Meroux Building. The rock construction allowed this building to survive a couple of fires that destroyed most of Downieville. The building was presented to the community of Downieville by members of the Meroux family in tribute to the memory of J.M.B. Meroux, with the Pioneers of Sierra County, the Native Daughters of the Golden West (Naomi Parlor 36) and Sons of the Golden West (Downieville Parlor 92) as trustees. It has been a museum since 1932 after restoration of the roof and wooden interior which had deteriorated with age. The nucleus of the museum is a collection of valuable relics gathered by former Sheriff George C. Bynon.
Dedicated to the memory of
of Sierra County
Downieville Parlor No. 92, N.S.G.W.
July 3, 1932
Erected 2008 by Major William Downie Chapter No. 1849, E Clampus Vitus.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus, and the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West series lists. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1865.
Location. 39° 33.631′ N, 120° 49.639′ W. Marker is in Downieville, California, in Sierra County. Marker is on Main Street east of Commercial Street (California Highway 49). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 330 Main Street, Downieville CA 95936, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Arrastra (here, next to this marker); Downieville (within shouting distance of this marker); Mackerman & Company Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The Shooting of Thaddeus Purdy (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Charles Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Craycroft Building (within shouting distance of this marker); In Memory of Juanita (within shouting distance of this marker); Downieville Veterans Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Downieville.
Regarding Downieville Museum.
"This was an early Chinese store and gambling house. One of the finest museums on the 49er Trail with an average of 7,000 to 10,000 visitors per year. Open Memorial Day to Labor Day."
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 30, 2011, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 604 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 30, 2011, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on July 5, 2011, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.