Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Mahtowa in Carlton County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

The Iron Range

 
 
The Iron Range Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By K. Linzmeier, June 11, 2011
1. The Iron Range Marker
[east side of marker]
Inscription.  One hundred miles north and west of Duluth lies the Iron Range. North America's largest iron ore region consists of three major iron ranges: the Vermillion, the Mesabi, and the Cuyuna. The Vermillion was the first to ship iron ore from Minnesota beginning in 1884 at Tower-Soudan. Extending from Tower to Ely, the Vermillion ore was found in vertical deposits requiring the use of underground mining techniques. The great Mesabi Range, extending for nearly one hundred miles from Grand Rapids to Babbitt, was discovered in 1890. Because the iron was located in shallow basins near the surface, the technique of open pit mining was used to extract the ore. The Cuyuna Range, located between Brainerd and Crosby-Ironton, shipped its first ore in 1911. Both open pit and underground mining occurred on the Cuyuna, which was noted for its high grade manganese ores.

More than 400 mines in Minnesota produced over three billion metric tons of ore that were shipped east on ore boats across the Great Lakes. The ore was used to make the steel that built America's industries, transportation systems and many things used in everyday life.

Many
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
mines are now closed; only those on the Mesabi Range continue to operate, producing taconite, a less rich iron ore requiring processing prior to shipment. The Soudan Mine, where the first ore was mined, was established as a state park after the mine closed in 1962. Since 1963, visitors have descended over twenty-five hundred feet into the ground, as the miners once did, to learn how iron ore was extracted at such depths. The Iron Range offers many places where evidence of its past is plainly visible and well interpreted.
Immigrants from many parts of Europe forged a regional identity as they toiled in the mines and the boarding houses, and frequently battled the mining companies. That fighting spirit remains in the people called "Rangers."

Erected by rhe Minnesota Historical Society
1997
[Seals of the Minnesota Department of Transportation and The Minnesota Historical Society]

 
Erected 1997 by the Minnesota Historical Society.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Minnesota Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1884.
 
Location. 46° 33.578′ N, 92° 35.81′ W. Marker is near Mahtowa, Minnesota, in Carlton
The Iron Range Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By K. Linzmeier, June 11, 2011
2. The Iron Range Marker
[west side of marker with duplicate text]
County. Marker can be reached from Interstate 35 at milepost 226,, 5.3 miles north of County Road 6, on the right when traveling north. Marker is at the northbound Culkin Rest Area. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Barnum MN 55707, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Mass Grave (approx. 10.1 miles away); Geology of Minnesota (approx. 11.3 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Iron Range. Wikipedia entry. (Submitted on July 2, 2011.) 
 
The Iron Range Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By K. Linzmeier, June 11, 2011
3. The Iron Range Marker
Nearby Plaque image. Click for full size.
Photographed By K. Linzmeier, June 11, 2011
4. Nearby Plaque
This rest area is dedicated to the memory of William E. Culkin. It is built on land gratefully donated to the State of Minnesota by his family. He was a pioneer legislator in Minnesota, a state senator and Register of the Duluth Land Office from 1896 to 1900 at the time when the federal government opened the area to homesteaders. He was a resident of Duluth for more than fifty years and, as a lawyer and editor, he contributed to land development and the promotion of good roads throughout this region.
Culkin Rest Area image. Click for full size.
Photographed By K. Linzmeier, June 11, 2011
5. Culkin Rest Area
The Culkin plaque is to the left of the entrance.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 2, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 835 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 2, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=44038

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 20, 2024