Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Auburn in Placer County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

G. Willment General Store

 
 
G. Willment General Store Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, February 18, 2010
1. G. Willment General Store Marker
Inscription.  
Historical Landmark

Site G. Willment General Store
Second floor was Mason Lodge
Built 1852 – Burned 1855
Rebuilt & Dedicated Dec.,27, 1860

 
Erected by Town of Auburn Community Project.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Fraternal or Sororal OrganizationsIndustry & Commerce. A significant historical date for this entry is December 27, 1762.
 
Location. 38° 53.785′ N, 121° 4.699′ W. Marker is in Auburn, California, in Placer County. Marker is at the intersection of Commercial Street and Court Street on Commercial Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 Commercial Street, Auburn CA 95603, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Masonic Hall Erected 1860 (here, next to this marker); Placer Press (here, next to this marker); Jacob Feldberg – L. Newman, Clothing (a few steps from this marker); Lawyers Row (within shouting distance of this marker); Auburn Native Sons Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Placer County Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); First Placer County Hospital (within shouting distance of this marker); Historical Auburn Fire House (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Auburn.
 
Regarding G. Willment General Store.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
In May 1860 a contract was let to erect a Masonic Hall over a one story building on Commercial Street, then owned by George Wilmot. This new hall was completed and dedicated on December 27, 1860. The cost of the hall was $6,874.60. In order to pay this indebtedness and carry on relief work of the Lodge, this new building was mortgaged for $1,500.00 and the members voluntarily taxed themselves $2.50 per month until they were free of debt.
 
G. Willment General Store Marker to the right of the door. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, February 18, 2010
2. G. Willment General Store Marker to the right of the door.
Site of the G. Willment General Store image. Click for more information.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, February 18, 2010
3. Site of the G. Willment General Store
Marker is to the right of the door: Masonic Lodge was upstairs.
Eureka Lodge No. 16 website homepage
Click for more information.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 5, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 3, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 630 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 3, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=44075

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 23, 2024