Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Wayne in Allen County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The First Police Station

 
 
The First Police Station Marker image. Click for full size.
By Charles T. Harrell, June 24, 2011
1. The First Police Station Marker
Inscription.  1863 marked the beginning of the first organized Police Force in the city. The council named a captain and three patrolmen to serve from twilight to daybreak. On this site was located the first city Police Station. It contained three iron cages on the first floor devoted to male offenders with the upper floor being reserved for female law violators.
 
Erected by Fraternal Order of Police.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Government & Politics. A significant historical year for this entry is 1863.
 
Location. 41° 4.774′ N, 85° 8.313′ W. Marker is in Fort Wayne, Indiana, in Allen County. Marker is on East Berry Street west of South Clinton Street (U.S. 27), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 East Berry Street, Fort Wayne IN 46802, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Journal Gazette Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Elektron Building (about 300 feet away); The Allen County Courthouse (about 400 feet away); Major General Anthony Wayne (about 500 feet
The First Police Station Marker image. Click for full size.
By Charles T. Harrell, June 24, 2011
2. The First Police Station Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
away); Mother George (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Canal House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Emboyd Theatre (approx. ¼ mile away); Cathedral of Immaculate Conception (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Wayne.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 3, 2011, by Charles T. Harrell of Woodford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 745 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 3, 2011, by Charles T. Harrell of Woodford, Virginia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=44086

Paid Advertisement
May. 14, 2021