Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Scott in Bourbon County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Site of Fort Henning

 
 
Site of Fort Henning Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., June 18, 2011
1. Site of Fort Henning Marker
Inscription.  

Built by
U.S. Government,
1863.

 
Erected 1917 by Molly Foster Berry Chapter No. 1001, Daughters of the American Revolution.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and CastlesFraternal or Sororal OrganizationsWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1863.
 
Location. 37° 50.404′ N, 94° 42.451′ W. Marker is in Fort Scott, Kansas, in Bourbon County. Marker is at the intersection of National Avenue and 2nd Street, on the right when traveling south on National Avenue. Marker is below the cornerstone, near the base of the flagpole at the US Post Office. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 120 South National Avenue, Fort Scott KS 66701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Scott Civil War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Scott Spanish American War Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Moody Building (about
Site of Fort Henning Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., June 18, 2011
2. Site of Fort Henning Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
300 feet away); In Honored Memory (about 300 feet away); Richards Building (about 400 feet away); Ingham Building (about 400 feet away); Memorial Hall (about 400 feet away); Milrose Block (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Scott.
 
More about this marker. The marker has been moved from its original location.
 
Regarding Site of Fort Henning. Fort Henning, also known as Lunette Henning, was one of several wooden blockhouses erected during the Civil War to defend the critical US Army supply depot at Fort Scott.
 
Also see . . .
1. Fort Henning in Blackmar's Kansas Cyclopedia (1912). Google Books entry (Submitted on July 4, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.) 

2. Fort Scott National Historic Site Receives Lunette Blair Donation. Nation Park Service Fort Scott National Historic Site website entry (Submitted on December 4, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.) 
 
Site of Fort Henning Marker at US Post Office image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., June 18, 2011
3. Site of Fort Henning Marker at US Post Office
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 4, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 4, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 652 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 4, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=44129

Paid Advertisement
Jan. 24, 2022