Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hawthorne in Mineral County, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Hawthorne

 
 
Hawthorne Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mh, May 5, 2011
1. Hawthorne Marker
Inscription.  Present Mineral Co. Seat -- Former Esmeralda Co. Seat

Townsite selected in 1880 by H. M. Yerington, president of the Carson and Colorado Railroad Co. as a division and distribution site for the new railroad.

The location was adjacent to the important Knapp's Station and Ferry Landing on the busy Esmeralda Toll Road from Wadsworth to Candelaria
Radiating roads ran to all of the surrounding mining areas.

Yerington named the new town Hawthorne after a lumberman friend in Carson City and on April 14, 1881, the first train arrived, loaded with prospective buyers for the new town lots.

In 1883, Hawthorne took the Esmeralda County seat from declining Aurora but later lost it to booming Goldfield. In 1911, it again became a county seat, this time for the new Mineral County.

In 1926, a destructive munitions explosion in the east caused the military to select Hawthorne for a new site. In 1928, Governor Balzar, former citizen of Hawthorne, turned the first shovel of dirt and dedicated the new depot which officially opened in 1930.

Hawthorne is a central point for desert travelers and for the vacation activity on nearby Walker Lake.
 
Erected by Nevada State Park System, Julia C. Bulette Chapter, E. Clampus Vitus. (Marker Number 60.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Railroads & Streetcars
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1944.
 
Location. 38° 31.958′ N, 118° 37.513′ W. Marker is in Hawthorne, Nevada, in Mineral County. Marker is on 10th Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hawthorne NV 89415, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Pillar of Light (within shouting distance of this marker); To Perpetuate the Memory of our Valiant Defenders of Freedom (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old County Court House (approx. half a mile away); Carson & Colorado (approx. 0.6 miles away); Mineral County (approx. 13˝ miles away).
 
Also see . . .
1. Hawthorne, Nevada. (Submitted on July 9, 2011.)
2. New Amended Text for Marker. The Nevada State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) recently updated the text of the roughly 260 state historical markers in Nevada. The Nevada SHPO placed the amended text of each individual marker on its website and will change the actual markers in the field as funding allows. Major changes have been made to the marker for grammar, readability, and content. The link will take you to the Nevada SHPO page for the marker with the amended text. (Submitted on November 12, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.) 
 
Hawthorne Marker along side a U.S. Navy 3-inch, .50 cal, Twin Mount Rapid-Fire Gun image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mh, May 5, 2011
2. Hawthorne Marker along side a U.S. Navy 3-inch, .50 cal, Twin Mount Rapid-Fire Gun
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 5, 2011. This page has been viewed 637 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 5, 2011, by Mh of Las Vegas, Nevada. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=44197

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 15, 2024