Reno in Washoe County, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Site of Nevada’s First Public Library
The state’s first public library building was erected on this site in 1904 with $15,000 donated by the philanthropist Andrew Carnegie on land originally donated to the City of Reno by pioneer Myron C. Lake. It remained in service until 1930, when growth forced it relocation to the site where the Pioneer Theater Auditorium now stands. The library was sold for $1 and demolished in 1931.
In 1966, the library was relocated to a new building at Center and Liberty Streets, three blocks south of this site. State Historic Marker No. 247
Erected by Division of Historic Preservation and Archeology and Washoe County Library. (Marker Number 247.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In Carnegie Libraries series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1895.
Location. 39° 31.487′ N, 119° 48.736′ W. Marker is in Reno, Nevada, in Washoe County. Marker is on South Virginia Street (Nevada Route 430), on the right when traveling north. The marker is located on the grounds of the U.S. Post Office. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 30 South Virginia Street, Reno NV 89501, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Frederick Joseph DeLongechamps (a few steps from this marker); Lake's Crossing (within shouting distance of this marker); Reno (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Washoe County World War II Memorial (about 300 feet away); The Virginia Street Bridges (about 300 feet away); Ginsburg Jewelry Company (about 400 feet away); Spanish-American War Memorial 1898-1899 (about 500 feet away); Major General Jesse Lee Reno (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Reno.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 30, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 5, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 536 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 5, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. 3. submitted on October 10, 2015. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.