Trinity Episcopal Church
The cornerstone of Trinity Episcopal Church was laid in 1890. The present church replaced the congregation’s first building, which stood across the street at 1140 First Avenue. Since its foundation in 1834, Trinity has held regular worship services in Columbus. The church added a parish house in 1925-26, with further expansion completed in 1965. Trinity serves the oldest and largest Episcopal congregation in Columbus. The only Gothic Revival church in Columbus, it possesses architectural significance that shows kinship to English countryside churches: Gothic arches and a square bell tower are distinctive features.
The nave seats five hundred. Stained glass memorial windows and marble floors enhance the dignified reverence of the setting. Two large brass chandeliers, originally gas burning, light the nave. Lewis C. Allen and H.H. McClintock served as first Wardens. The Vestry included E.L. De Graffenried, Charles A. Peabody, John Forsyth, Jr., John A. Urquhart, George Hargraves, Jr., John E. Davis, and Mr. Lively. One of Columbus’s founders, Dr. De Graffenried, held the charter meeting
Erected 1989 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Trinity Episcopal Church.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1890.
Location. 32° 28.073′ N, 84° 59.496′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Georgia, in Muscogee County. Marker is on 1st Avenue 0 miles north of 11th Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1130 1st Avenue, Columbus GA 31901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Columbian Lodge No. 7, Free & Accepted Masons Columbus, Georgia (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Oglethorpe House (about 300 feet away); Kirven's Department Store (about 400 feet away); City of Columbus (about 500 feet away); Confederate Memorial Day (about 600 feet away); First Black Public School (about 600 feet away); First Baptist Church (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 8, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 497 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 8, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.