Lincolnton in Lincoln County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Patriot Captains' Gravesite
Although it is unclear when or by whom the original brick enclosure was erected, it was on this site before 1877. In 1955 members of the Jacob Forney Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, had the Lincolnton Street Department build the extensive brick wall on the north side of the enclosure. In 1984 Boy Scout Ted M. Dellinger, Troup 87, repaired the enclosure as an Eagle Scout service project.
Erected by Lincoln County Historical Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Patriots & Patriotism • War, US Revolutionary. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1770.
Location. 35° 28.633′ N, 81° 15.849′ W. Marker is in Lincolnton, North Carolina Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lincolnton NC 28092, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. War Comes to North Carolina's Backcountry (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Battle of Ramsour's Mill (about 600 feet away); The Battle (about 600 feet away); The Aftermath (about 600 feet away); The John Martin Shuford Gravesite (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named Battle of Ramsour's Mill (approx. 0.3 miles away); Michael Hoke (approx. 0.4 miles away); Robert F. Hoke (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lincolnton.
More about this marker. On the lower right is a photograph with the caption, "Grave of Patriot Captains Dobson and Bowman who fell during the Battle of Ramsour's Mill, June 20, 1870.
On the lower left is a photograph with the caption, "Alfred Nixon conducted a tour of the Battle of Ramsour's Mill site on August 20, 1914 for the Lincoln County Teachers' Institute."
Photographs courtesy of the Lincoln County Historical Association and Lincoln County Museum of History.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 9, 2011, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 713 times since then and 72 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on July 9, 2011, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. 2, 3. submitted on July 10, 2011, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.