Hutto in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
German native William Klattenhoff (1855–1928) immigrated to Texas in 1872 at age 17. His work on the International and Great Northern Railroad brought him to Hutto, where he purchased land in 1876. Upon his marriage to Alvina Plattow (1860–1958) in 1878, he built their first house on this property. The Klattenhoffs purchased more land here and in Tom Green County, where in 1905 they helped establish a school that later became the Klattenhoff Community Center. William’s success as a farmer, rancher and businessman led to the construction of a second home in 1896. The homestead, which remained in the Klattenhoff family at the turn of the 21st century, is a reminder of German settlement patterns.
Erected 2002 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12829.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1872.
Location. 30° 30.429′ N, 97° 34.685′ W. Marker is in Hutto, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 685. Touch for map. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hutto Lutheran Cemetery (approx. 1.8 miles away); Major Robert McNutt (approx. 2.1 miles away); Hutto Cemetery (approx. 2.1 miles away); Hutto Baptist Church (approx. 2.2 miles away); Shiloh-McCutcheon Cemetery (approx. 2.6 miles away); Hutto (approx. 3.1 miles away); Hutto Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. 3.4 miles away); Site of Stony Point School (approx. 3˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hutto.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 30, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,499 times since then and 70 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 30, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.