High Uptown Historic District / Garrett-Bullock-Delay House
High Uptown Historic District
This area, known as “High Uptown,” contains historic residential structures that were built by affluent business and community leaders of the 19th and early 20th centuries. These homes are prototypes of architectural styles in vogue from the 1850’s until about 1910. Many of the district’s most significant structures are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. This historic district was created in 1986 by the city council of the Columbus Consolidated Government.
A fine example of Queen Anne style architecture, this High Victorian mansion was built in 1881 by Col. Joseph S. Garrett (C.S.A.)., Columbus merchant, postmaster, and planter. The house was sold in 1910 to Osborn C. Bullock, a Columbus banker and business leader, whose family resided here until the death of his last surviving daughter, Margaret Bullock Schaefer, in 1985. In 1986, Mr. and Mrs. Jerry DeLay purchased this Columbus landmark from the Historic Columbus Foundation and restored it to its original state of Victorian elegance. This structure was listed
Erected 1991 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission, the Historic Columbus Foundation, and the Garrett-Bullock-Delay Families.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1910.
Location. 32° 28.371′ N, 84° 59.414′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Georgia, in Muscogee County. Marker is at the intersection of Second Avenue (Georgia Route 85) and 14th Street, on the right when traveling north on Second Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1402 Second Avenue, Columbus GA 31901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Birthplace of Robert Winship Woodruff (within shouting distance of this marker); Ernest Woodruff / Robert Winship Woodruff (within shouting distance of this marker); The Rankin House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bullard-Hart-Sampson House (about 400 feet away); Philip Thomas Schley (about 400 feet away); Haiman's Sword Factory (about 500 feet away); Tyler Home (about 800 feet away); Martin J. Crawford (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Additional keywords. Historic District
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 10, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 662 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 10, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.