Columbus in Muscogee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Garrett and Sons / Cargill-Wright Company
Joseph Simpson Garrett, a whiskey, tobacco, and groceries merchant, constructed this building in 1883 for his business, Garrett and Sons. This wholesale business was regarded as the first of its kind in Columbus. Garrett served as Columbus postmaster from 1897 to 1905. Many businesses occupied this building between 1900 and 1934 when Simon Schwob, a tailor from Alsace-Lorraine, opened Schwob Manufacturing Company. With the “factory to consumer” approach, it became the largest manufacturer and retailer of menswear in the South. In 1978, Schwob Manufacturing became Joy Fashions and operated here until 1988.
Built in 1902, the Cargill-Wright Company, candy manufacturers and syrup refiners, were the first occupants of this building. The building was also home to Penick and Ford, and the Hardaway-Cargill Company, both syrup refiners, and Mitchell Hosiery Mills. `In` 1930, Sol Loeb Wholesale Grocery Company moved here from its original 12th Street location. One of ten original customers of the William Wrigley Company,
Erected 2002 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission; the Stone Tree Group, LLC; and the Historic Columbus Foundation, Inc.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1883.
Location. 32° 27.779′ N, 84° 59.643′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Georgia, in Muscogee County. Marker is on 9th Street, 0 miles west of Broadway, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 11 9th Street, Columbus GA 31901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lummus Cotton Gins (within shouting distance of this marker); Empire Mills (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Early Residences (about 300 feet away); Columbus Iron Works (about 400 feet away); The Joseph House (about 400 feet away); The Columbus Guards (about 500 feet away); Columbus’ First Theater (about 600 feet away); "Kinfolks' Corner" (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 5, 2017. It was originally submitted on July 10, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 912 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 10, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 7. submitted on February 5, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.