Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Spooner in Washburn County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Spooner and The Railroad

 
 
Spooner and The Railroad Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By K. Linzmeier, June 12, 2011
1. Spooner and The Railroad Marker
Inscription.  
Development of the rail lines in this area was begun in 1871 from Hudson, Wis., by the North Wisconsin Railroad Co., and completed by the Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis and Omaha RR Co. to Ashland, Superior, and Eau Claire by 1890. The Chicago & Northwestern Railway Co. acquired the Omaha in 1892, but did not operate the Omaha lines in this area in the name of the Chicago and Northwestern until 1956.

In 1882, the Division Headquarters were moved from Chandler two miles north and located here at Spooner, the center of this area, named after Senator John C. Spooner. A large passenger depot, freight depot, express office, restaurant, switching yards, roundhouse, locomotive and car shops, lumberyards and Division Offices for the superintendent, trainmasters, dispatchers, master mechanic, road masters, and bridges and buildings supervisors were constructed. In all, some 600 persons, including depot and freight agents, engineers, firemen, conductors, brakemen, switchmen, repairmen, baggagemen, expressmen and office workers were employed here during this time.

Every day eighteen passenger trains, eleven logging trains, ten
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
freight trains, 4 section crews and 55 chain gang crews ran out of Spooner. Passenger service terminated in 1961.

Wood burning engines were used 1871-1885; standard coal burning, hand fired engines to 1912; Mikado (heavier) engines started to be used in 1913, stokers in 1930, and diesels in 1950.

Spooner continues as an important railroad center of the Chicago & Northwestern, handling tremendous tonnage. Its large payroll is a vital part of the area's economy.

Spooner Kiwanis Club 1975

 
Erected 1975 by Spooner Kiwanis Club.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1871.
 
Location. 45° 49.519′ N, 91° 53.2′ W. Marker is in Spooner, Wisconsin, in Washburn County. Marker can be reached from North Front Street north of Oak Street, on the right when traveling north. Marker is at the Railroad Memories Museum, the former Chicago & North Western Depot; by the Wild Rivers State Trail, the former railroad corridor. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 424 North Front Street, Spooner WI 54801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Yellow River (approx. 1.1 miles away); Namekagon River
Spooner and The Railroad Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By K. Linzmeier, June 12, 2011
2. Spooner and The Railroad Marker
(approx. 6˝ miles away).
 
Also see . . .
1. Railroad Memories Museum. Washburn County Tourism Association entry (Submitted on July 11, 2011.) 

2. Chicago and North Western Transportation Company. Wikipedia entry. "The C&NW became one of the longest railroads in the USA as a result of mergers with other railroads, such as the Chicago Great Western Railway, Minneapolis and St. Louis Railway and others." (Submitted on July 11, 2011.) 
 
Former Spooner Depot and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By K. Linzmeier, June 12, 2011
3. Former Spooner Depot and Marker
Former Spooner Depot and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By K. Linzmeier, June 12, 2011
4. Former Spooner Depot and Marker
Railroad Memories Museum
Former Spooner Depot image. Click for full size.
Photographed By K. Linzmeier, June 12, 2011
5. Former Spooner Depot
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 13, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 11, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,056 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 11, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=44524

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 15, 2024