A. G. Wimpy, an early merchant in Dahlonega, purchased the property in 1856 in build an attractive home known as “Rose Hill”. “Uncle Archie” and “Aunt Nancy” had no children of their own but raised 10 orphans.
In 1900, the Wimpy homeplace was purchased by Dr. B. P. Gaillard, who came to Dahlonega in 1873 as professor of mathematics, latin and natural sciences of North Georgia Agricultural College. He remained on the faculty until 1922, a span of 49 years.
The fine antebellum home stood empty of years and burned in 1963. The lot was empty until purchased by the Dahlonega Baptist Church in 1991.
The bricks on the base of this marker are from the original
Erected by Lumpkin County Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical month for this entry is September 1975.
Location. 34° 31.996′ N, 83° 59.206′ W. Marker is in Dahlonega, Georgia, in Lumpkin County. Marker is on Hawkins Street just west of North Chestatee Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dahlonega GA 30533, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dahlonega Stories (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Dahlonega Stories (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Dahlonega Stories (about 400 feet away); Hall's Block (about 500 feet away); The Public Square (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Dahlonega Stories (about 500 feet away); Maibaum History Tree (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Dahlonega Stories (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dahlonega.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 13, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 805 times since then and 67 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 13, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.