Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jackson in Amador County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Moore Mine

 
 
Moore Mine Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, June 6, 2011
1. Moore Mine Marker
Inscription.  Founded and active in the 1880’s. 10 stamp mill and a 640’ shaft. Re-opened 1921 till 1929. 20 stamp mill and a 2,291’ incline shaft. Tailing dam north to Raley’s. Produced $564,624 in gold.

Nearby Mines: South Jackson, Fern, Kearsling, Hubbard, Aetna and Anita. Vein and mines continue southwest to Middle Bar. Moore Site west on Fuller Lane.
 
Erected 2004 by Amador County Sesquicentennial Commission. (Marker Number 1.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceNatural Resources. In addition, it is included in the California - Sutter Creek Gold Mine Trail series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1921.
 
Location. 38° 20.273′ N, 120° 45.643′ W. Marker is in Jackson, California, in Amador County. Marker is at the intersection of Fuller Lane and California Highway 49, on the left when traveling west on Fuller Lane. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jackson CA 95642, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Zeile Mine and Mine House (approx. 0.6 miles away); V. S. Garbarini, Sr.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. one mile away); William J. Paugh House (approx. one mile away); Jackson Fire Bell (approx. one mile away); The Old Spring (approx. one mile away); Masonic Hall & Court House (approx. one mile away); Rocca's Hall, Theatre, Arena (approx. one mile away); The Louisiana House (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jackson.
 
Regarding Moore Mine. Amador County’s Gold Mine Trail was established as part of the Amador County Sesquicentennial celebration in 2004. It is a 15 mile driving tour of some of the county’s 300+ gold mines. There are 18 official tour stops plus numerous related sites and markers.

From the Gold Mine Trail booklet: “After the placer gold rush of 1848-50, miners began to dig into the earth and rock to uncover gold imprisoned in quartz rocks’ deep veins. The largest vein was the Mother Lode between Yosemite (Oakhurst) and Georgetown in El Dorado County. The 20-mile stretch for the Mokelumne River to the Cosumnes river was the richest, producing some $160 million in gold between 1851 and 1842 (current value $5 billion).
The
Moore Mine Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, June 6, 2011
2. Moore Mine Marker
first hard rock mines were found in Amador County in 1851. The original Ministers’ claim and the Spring Hill were soon followed by many others: Lincoln, South Spring Hill, Keystone, Original Amador, and Eureka.
By the 1870s-80s Amador County was working 300+ mines. There were some tunnels, but later incline and vertical shafts reached down a mile into the ground. The Kennedy and Argonaut were close to 6,000’ deep. Headframes crowned shafts and stamp mills processed and crushed the ore. Some mines were worked by their founders but most were sold time and again and were improved or went bust. Large American and foreign companies traded in stock and ran the mines from afar.
Workers came from all over the world to look and work for gold. Most were from Europe: Italy, Yugoslavia, and Cornwall. Many stayed on the settle towns, marry and, raise families. Some mines vanished over the years; others still exist. Of the 300-400 mines, only eight headframes still stand, but may foundations, shafts and surface works remain.”
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 13, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 887 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 13, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=44582

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 21, 2024