St. Croix Boom Site
Here millions of logs from the upper St. Croix and tributaries were halted, sorted, and rafted, later to be sawed into lumber and timber products. More logs were handled here than at any similar place in this section.
2011 Replica of Original Plaque
This replica plaque has been made possible by the Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund administered by the Minnesota Historical Society.
Erected 1937 by the National Youth Administration. (Marker Number WA-SWT-004.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Minnesota Historical Society, and the National Historic Landmarks series lists.
Location. 45° 5.056′ N, 92° 47.207′ W. Marker is near Stillwater, Minnesota, in Washington County. Marker is on Saint Croix Trail (State Highway 95
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Life at the Boom (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Controlling A River Of Logs (about 400 feet away); Geology of Minnesota (approx. 0.3 miles away); Tamarack House (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Warden's House (approx. 1.9 miles away); St. Croix Lumber Mills / Stillwater Manufacturing Company (approx. 2 miles away); 1965 Easter Sunday Floodwater Crest (approx. 2.1 miles away); 114 North Main Street (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stillwater.
More about this marker. The 1937 St. Croix Boom Site metal plaque was missing since 2008. The smaller 1966 National Historic Landmark plaque – which was there in 2008 – was also missing. They were replaced/restored by 2014.
Seals of the State of Minnesota Department of Highways and The Minnesota Historical Society are on the plaque.
Also see . . .
1. Minnesota Department of Transportation. Historic Roadside Development Structures Inventory. "It is possible that the stone for the wayside rest was salvaged from the buildings of the Minnesota Territorial/State Prison in Stillwater." (Submitted on July 17, 2011.)
2. Saint Croix Boom Site. Historic Saint Croix River Structure. "Crews of men called ‘boom rats’ would watch for the log brand markings, then group together logs with the same brand. Once a large group of logs of the same brand were assembled, they would be formed into a raft and sent downstream with a crew onboard to steer the raft of logs (Submitted on July 17, 2011.)
3. St. Croix Boom Site. Wikipedia entry. "During the 1870s, logs were frequently backed up for 15 miles (25 km) above the boom during mid-summer." (Submitted on July 17, 2011.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 17, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 745 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on November 6, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 2. submitted on April 7, 2020, by Fitzie Heimdahl of Eau Claire, Wisconsin. 3. submitted on November 6, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on July 17, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. 10. submitted on November 6, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.