Brookville in Franklin County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
This grandstand built 1922 to seat 1, 000 and serve fans of new Brookville semi-pro team. Twenty box seats included to help pay for construction. Central platform included for community activities. Facility later used for youth sports. Structure renovated 1992 for continuing use by community.
Baseball has been played in Brookville since at least 1867 when local amateur teams played out-of-town teams. A local team joined semi-pro Southern Indiana Baseball Association 1922 and other regional leagues in later years. Land given for the public park by Amos and Mary Butler 1907. Wooden grandstand built here 1914 seated 300.
Erected 2002 by Indiana Historical Bureau, Franklin County Historical Society, and 50 Years of Franklin County Football Committee 2001. (Marker Number 24.2002.1.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Sports. In addition, it is included in the Indiana Historical Bureau Markers series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1922.
Location. 39° 25.487′ N, 85° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brookville IN 47012, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Brookville Church and Cemetery (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); James Brown Ray (about 600 feet away); Brookville College (about 700 feet away); The Purple Heart (about 700 feet away); Brookville's Carnegie Library (approx. 0.2 miles away); Goodwin Home (approx. ¼ mile away); Brookville Historic District (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Courthouse Square (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brookville.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 18, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 740 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 18, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.