Metamora in Franklin County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Built in 1838 by Ezekial Tyner to house his store room and counting room where he acted as agent for canal trade, housing his family in the addition to the rear. He then purchased the land from David Mount in 1841. Thomas Tague acquired the property in 1856 and ran a Tavern until 1870 when Amos Martindale extended the building to the west and operated the Martindale Hotel until 1895. Through many owners a public dining room was maintained in this building for guests of the hotel, travelers by canal, stage, or train.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1838.
Location. 39° 26.788′ N, 85° 8.014′ W. Marker is in Metamora, Indiana, in Franklin County. Marker is on Main Street (a.k.a. Pennington Road) east of Bridge Street, on the right when traveling east. Located on the South side of Metamora: You enter Metamora on Columbus Street - cross over the bridge - immediately turn left (on Main Street). Martindale Hotel is a few doors down - on the right. Touch for mapTouch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Confectionary (here, next to this marker); Van Camp's Store (a few steps from this marker); Stable (a few steps from this marker); Old Cobbler's Shop (a few steps from this marker); Metamora Masonic Lodge (a few steps from this marker); Old Faulkner-Pierce Drug Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Jenks and Martindale Grocery (within shouting distance of this marker); Blacksmith Shop And Cottage (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Metamora.
Also see . . . Historic Metamora - Indiana's Canal Town. Town website homepage (Submitted on August 23, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 23, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 23, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 512 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 23, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.