Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dover in Kent County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

An Army of Restoration (CCC)

 
 
An Army of Restoration Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Roger Dean Meyer, October 9, 2006
1. An Army of Restoration Marker
Inscription.  
To provide employment and vocational training for youthful citizens of the United States…through the performance of useful public work in connection with the conservation and development of the natural resources of the United States and its possessions. (CCC Federal Enacting Legislation, 1933)
During the dark days of the Great Depression, the Civilian Conservation Corps conserved some of America’s most precious natural resources—its land and young men. Between 1933 and 1942, this center-piece of President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s New Deal legislation put to work hundreds of thousands of unemployed and underprivileged youth.
As many as 7,000 Delawareans between the ages of 18 and 25 were employed by the CCC nationwide. Whether fighting forest fires in Oregon, building the Appalachian Trail, planting trees in Virginia, or draining swamps in southern Delaware, the CCC harnessed youthful energies for purposeful work.
In addition to native Delawareans, many men from New Jersey and New York were assigned to the First State’s six (on the average) CCC camps. In Delaware, the Corps undertook mosquito control work along the marshes
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
and inland bays to improve the quality of life for all Delawareans. The CCC also cleared and maintained more than 12 million yards of drainage and flood control ditches statewide. The Corps helped create a national wildlife refuge out of the wetlands of Bombay Hook. Other CCC projects restored freshwater lakes and ponds, planted new forests, blazed trails and created fire breaks’ (sic).
Indeed, the young men of the Civilian Conservation Corps earned more than a day’s wage for a day’s work. They earned self-respect and a sense of purpose. They also earned a very special place in the history of Delaware and the nation.
 
Erected 1987 by First State Chapter of the National Association of Civilian Conservation Corps Alumni, 133rd General Assembly—Delaware Legislature, Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Horticulture & Forestry. In addition, it is included in the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1933.
 
Location. 39° 9.369′ N, 75° 31.364′ W. Marker is in Dover, Delaware, in Kent County. Marker can be reached from The Green, on the right when traveling east. Located next to 55 The Green. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dover DE 19901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers
An Army of Restoration (CCC) Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Adam Margolis, January 19, 2022
2. An Army of Restoration (CCC) Marker
are within walking distance of this marker. John Bell House (within shouting distance of this marker); State House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Delaware Line (within shouting distance of this marker); Delaware's Struggle for Women's Right to Vote (within shouting distance of this marker); Kent County Courthouses (1680-1983) (within shouting distance of this marker); The Green (within shouting distance of this marker); Delaware Decides (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of King George’s Tavern (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dover.
 
An Army of Restoration (CCC) Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, October 17, 2012
3. An Army of Restoration (CCC) Marker
An Army of Restoration (CCC) Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Adam Margolis, January 19, 2022
4. An Army of Restoration (CCC) Marker
CCC Legacy image. Click for more information.
via CCC Legacy, unknown
5. CCC Legacy
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 20, 2022. It was originally submitted on January 3, 2008, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 2,105 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on January 3, 2008, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota.   2. submitted on January 19, 2022, by Adam Margolis of Mission Viejo, California.   3. submitted on November 24, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   4. submitted on January 19, 2022, by Adam Margolis of Mission Viejo, California.   5. submitted on September 19, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=4491

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 20, 2024