Kountze in Hardin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Organized August 9, 1858
Named in honor of the Hardins of Liberty County, five brothers - Benjamin Watson, Augustine Blackburn, William, Franklin and Milton A. who came to Texas in 1825
County seat, Hardin, 1858-1887
Erected 1936 by Texas Highway Department. (Marker Number 11154.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Government & Politics. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list. A significant historical date for this entry is January 22, 1821.
Location. 30° 22.098′ N, 94° 19.002′ W. Marker is in Kountze, Texas, in Hardin County. Marker is on State Highway 326, on the right when traveling east. The marker is located in NW corner of the courthouse square. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 Monroe Street, Kountze TX 77625, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Courthouses of Hardin County (here, next to this marker); General Braxton Bragg, C.S.A. (within shouting Hooks Abstract Company (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist Church of Kountze (approx. 0.2 miles away); First United Methodist Church of Kountze (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of Kountze Baptist College (approx. 1.1 miles away); Richard E. Jackson (approx. 7˝ miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 24, 2011, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 378 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 24, 2011, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.