Courthouses of Hardin County
In 1887, architect Frank Smith of Beaumont designed a two-story frame structure built in Kountze by local contractor W.B. Pedigo. A safe was positioned inside the structure and the walls were built around it. The building was replaced in 1905. J.B. Hooks moved the old courthouse across the street to become the J.B. Hooks Abstract Company.
A new masonry courthouse was erected in 1905. It was designed by Andrew P. Bryan and built by M.J. Lewman and Company. Domed in the tradition of the nation's capitol and the Texas State Capitol, the edifice was built of native stone from the Pecos area of West Texas. Salmon-colored brick was imported from the Hydraulic Press Brick Company of St. Louis, and the columns and bases were crafted by Bedford Stone Company. A carbide lighting system was installed in 1918. A three-story colonial-style sandstone building was erected with four 24-foot two-story columns front and back and 16 smaller columns supporting the
A modern facility was planned by Dickson-Dickson and Associates and built by Lumbeck Construction Company in 1958. The 1905 edifice was destroyed in 1960. At the end of the 20th century, the 1958 courthouses was still in service and the 1887 building continued to stand, now the home of law offices, near the courthouse square.
Erected 1999 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11930.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Government & Politics. A significant historical year for this entry is 1858.
Location. 30° 22.098′ N, 94° 19.002′ W. Marker is in Kountze, Texas, in Hardin County. Marker is on State Highway 326, on the right when traveling east. Located in the courthouse square. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 Monroe Street, Kountze TX 77625, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hardin County (here, next to this marker); General Braxton Bragg, C.S.A. (within shouting distance of this marker); Hooks Abstract Company (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist Church of Kountze (approx. 0.2 miles away); First United Methodist Church of Kountze (approx. 0.3 miles away);
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 25, 2011, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 525 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 25, 2011, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.