Ironwood in Gogebic County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Registered Michigan Historic Site
Erected 1978 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number L0560.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1874.
Location. 46° 27.324′ N, 90° 9.644′ W. Marker is in Ironwood, Michigan, in Gogebic County. Marker is at the intersection of McLeod Street and Day Street, on the right when traveling east on McLeod Street Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 631 E McLeod St, Ironwood MI 49938, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Miners Memorial Heritage Park (approx. 0.4 miles away); Commemorating the Iron Ore Industry (approx. 0.4 miles away); Hiawatha (approx. 0.4 miles away); Ironwood City Hall (approx. half a mile away); Italians on the Gogebic Iron Range (approx. half a mile away); The Truth Behind the Legend of Stormy Kromer (approx. one mile away); Pabst Mine "H" Shaft (approx. 1.1 miles away); Penokee Iron Range Trail – Historic Iron County Courthouse (approx. 1.2 miles away in Wisconsin). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ironwood.
Regarding Curry House. The 18 room Solomon S. Curry mansion was constructed in 1895. It was dedicated as a Michigan Registered Historical site on Memorial Day, 1978. It still retains its original stained-glass Tiffany windows. All inside woodwork, banisters and fireplaces have been restored to original condition or replaced by fixtures of the period by the (then) owners, Mr. & Mrs. Tim Kornwolf. Solomon S. Curry was a pioneer in the mining industry and instrumental in building the City of Ironwood. (Source: Information from the Ironwood Historical Society)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 13, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 25, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,109 times since then and 114 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 25, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. 5. submitted on August 23, 2011, by Diana Raush of West Des Moines, Iowa. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.