History of the Lake McDonald Lodge
Like many buildings in the park, Lake McDonald Lodge has a rustic architectural style. The lodge was built during the winter of 1913-14 with locally available materials, creating a rustic exterior of native stone and western cedar that blends with the natural setting. Construction materials not found locally were hauled to the site by boat.
Because no roads were built to the lodge until 1921, its “front” faces the lakeshore to greet guests who arrived by boat.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Parks & Recreational Areas. A significant historical year for this entry is 1921.
Location. 48° 37.041′ N, 113° 52.769′ W. Marker is in West Glacier, Montana, in Flathead County. Marker can be reached from Lake McDonald Lodge Loop 0.1 miles west of Going-To-The-Sun-Road. Marker is located in front of the Lake McDonald Lodge. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: West Glacier MT 59936, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Historic Boats (within shouting distance of this marker); Time Machines (within shouting
More about this marker. On the upper right are three photographs with the captions:
"In 1895 George Snyder built a two-story frame hotel at this site. John and Olive Lewis purchased the Snyder Hotel in 1906, built a number of guests cabins to meet increasing demand, and renamed it the Lewis Glacier Hotel. The photo shows the original Snyder Hotel complex."
"The interior of the main hotel was intended to give the impression of a hunting lodge. A totem pole was included in the exterior scene even though local tribes did not use them in their traditions."
"For many years large horse parties travelled into the backcountry from this hotel. In 1930 the National Park Service bought the Lewis Glacier Hotel and changed its name to the Lake McDonald Lodge."
Also see . . . Glacier National Park. U.S. National Park Service (Submitted on July 26, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 26, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 526 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 26, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. 3. submitted on July 28, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. 4. submitted on July 26, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.