First Baptist Church of Kountze
In 1908 a loan from the Southern Baptist Convention to the First Baptist Church of Kountze facilitated the erection of a frame structure on Redwood Street. It was located two blocks from the original building, which had become the Methodist Church.
In 1951 fundraising and planning began for a new brick building, dedicated in 1955. By 1979, a two-story wing was added; in the 1980s the church library and sanctuary were expanded and new youth programs established. The First Baptist Church of Kountze marked its 100th anniversary with a celebration lasting from the spring of 1990 to January of 1993. With such developments as a new fellowship
Erected 1997 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11931.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1993.
Location. 30° 22.116′ N, 94° 18.786′ W. Marker is in Kountze, Texas, in Hardin County. Marker is on South Hickory Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 Monroe Street, Kountze TX 77625, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First United Methodist Church of Kountze (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hooks Abstract Company (approx. 0.2 miles away); General Braxton Bragg, C.S.A. (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hardin County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Courthouses of Hardin County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Kountze Baptist College (approx. 1.1 miles away); Richard E. Jackson (approx. 7.6 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 27, 2011, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 539 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 27, 2011, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.