Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Lavonia in Franklin County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Shoal Creek

 
 
Shoal Creek Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, July 26, 2011
1. Shoal Creek Marker
Inscription.  

Shoal Creek Consolidated School was created in 1924. Grades one through nine were taught in a new brick building completed in 1925. It replaced Thomasville, Old Shoal Creek, and Parkertown Schools. Additional pupils came from Viola and Rock Springs. The auditorium, shop, and cannery housed sports, drama, and programs in agriculture and home economics. A teacherage was located nearby. The school building burned in 1951 and was rebuilt only to be closed in 1956.
 
Erected 2006 by Hart County Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1924.
 
Location. 34° 26.396′ N, 83° 2.108′ W. Marker is near Lavonia, Georgia, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of Providence Church Road (Georgia Route 77) and Shoal Creek Road, on the right when traveling south on Providence Church Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2175 Providence Church Road, Lavonia GA 30553, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Vandiver Bridge (approx. 3.1 miles
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
away in South Carolina); Beaverdam Baptist Church (approx. 5.9 miles away in South Carolina); Poplar Springs Baptist Church (approx. 6.3 miles away); Double Branches Baptist Church (approx. 7.7 miles away); Emory Edward Satterfield House (approx. 8.1 miles away); Teasley-Holland House (approx. 8.1 miles away); Teasley, McCurry, Myers House (approx. 8.1 miles away); Horton-Vickery House (approx. 8.2 miles away).
 
Regarding Shoal Creek. The former school building now serves as a fire station for the community.
 
Shoal Creek Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, July 26, 2011
2. Shoal Creek Marker
Shoal Creek Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, July 26, 2011
3. Shoal Creek Marker
The old school building, now a fire station, is in the background.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 29, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 564 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 29, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=45183

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 1, 2024