Troy in Rensselaer County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Church of the Holy Cross
Holy Cross 1844
Its Rectory 1857
The Mary Warren Free
Institute School 1862
Are Listed Upon
The National Register of
Historic Places in Recognition
of their Architectural and
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1844.
Location. 42° 43.946′ N, 73° 41.012′ W. Marker is in Troy, New York, in Rensselaer County. Marker is on 8th Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 136 8th St, Troy NY 12180, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. West Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); W & L E Gurley Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Great Fire of 1862 (approx. 0.2 miles away); History of 1819 Fifth Avenue (approx. Ό mile away); Ebenezer Emmons (approx. 0.3 miles away); Welcome to the Collar City! (approx. 0.3 miles Uncle Sam Monument (approx. 0.3 miles away); Locking Through (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Troy.
Regarding Church of the Holy Cross. The Church of the Holy Cross was founded by Mary Warren in the early 1840's. Under the direction of Mary Warren's son, Nathan B. Warren, the church nave was built from designs by Alexander Jackson Davis in 1844. The chancel addition, by Richard Upjohn, was completed in late 1848 and dedicated in January, 1849. In 1846, the Church of the Holy Cross instituted the first full choral service in an Episcopal church in the United States. In the full choral service, the psalter, creed and responses of the English Cathedral Service are chanted by the choir while the officiant intones his part. In 1863, the Mary Warren Free Institute was built adjoining the church to the south in order to further religious and musical instruction in the Episcopal Church.
Mary Warren's son, Nathan B. Warren, carried on the building project, employing Alexander Jackson Davis to design the original church in 1843, Richard Upjohn to expand the chancel in 1848, and Henry Dudley to complete the proposed additions to the ante-chapel suggested by the Ante-Chapel at New
The first rector of the church, the Reverend John Ireland Tucker, held that office for fifty years. During this time he was prominently identified with Episcopal Church music. He was editor and/or author of prefaces for The Hymnal, With Tunes Old and New (1873), The Service Book of Anglican Chants and Gregorian Tones (1878) and The Hymnal, Revised and Enlarged [1894) which became popularly known as the 'Second Tucker,' During his administration, the Church of the Holy Cross instituted the first full choral service in an Episcopal church in the United States, The impact of religious music on the congregation must have been of increasingly important concern to the Warren family and the Church of the Holy Cross; in 1865 the Mary Warren Free Institute was completed, adjoining the church on the south, and dedicated to the teaching of religion and church music.
Facing a dwindling parish size and financial troubles,
Also see . . . Church of the Holy Cross, Troy New York. Historic Structures website entry (Submitted on May 8, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 8, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 29, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 735 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 29, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on July 30, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.