Pierre in Hughes County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Dedicated to You, A Free Citizen in a Free Land
by direction of
Secretary of the Treasury
As the inspirational symbol of the
United States Savings Bonds Independence Drive
from May 16 to July 4,1950, it was displayed in
every part of this state
The dimensions and tone are identical
with those of the original Liberty bell when it
rang out our independence in 1776.
In standing before this symbol, you have the
opportunity to dedicate yourself,
as did our founding fathers, to the principles
of the individual freedom for which our Nation stands.
This bell is one of fifty-three cast in France in 1950,
and given to the United States Government by:
Topics and series. This historical Landmarks. In addition, it is included in the Liberty Bell Replica series list.
Location. 44° 21.989′ N, 100° 20.838′ W. Marker is in Pierre, South Dakota, in Hughes County. Marker is on East Capitol Avenue. Across from the State Capitol. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pierre SD 57501, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Combat Wounded Veterans (here, next to this marker); South Dakota State Capitol (within shouting distance of this marker); Soldiers' & Sailors' World War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Hughes County Courthouse / Site of First Library in Pierre (approx. ¼ mile away); Charles Hyde's Legacy (approx. ¼ mile away); The Old Hughes County Court House (approx. ¼ mile away); First and Only Hanging in Hughes County (approx. ¼ mile away); John Sutherland and the Capital Fights (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pierre.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 30, 2011, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 578 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 30, 2011, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.