Douglas Union School
In 1866, faced with the growth of what were then the separate villages of Douglas and Dudleyville, Saugatauk Township Districts No. 3 and 4 merged forming Union District No. 3. The Douglas Union School opened for classes in September 1866. One male and one female teacher taught 129 pupils that year. Early newspapers reported church services, concerts, and social events taking place in the building's second floor hall. When it closed in 1957, the school had four classrooms. They were converted to apartments during the 1960s. The bell, made by the Buckeye Bell Foundry of Cincinnati, Ohio, was removed and relocated at the new elementary school.
Opened in 1866, The Douglas Union School is one of Michigan's oldest surviving multi-classroom school buildings. With its bracketed eaves and belfry, the school reflects Italian Villa architecture. Two years after the school opened the state superintendent of education reported that "Douglas has a new building, and a good one for a small place." Incorporated in 1870, by 1873 the village had four general stores, a hotel, several flour and lumber mills, and between
Erected 1998 by Michigan Historical Center, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1801.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical month for this entry is September 1866.
Location. 42° 38.63′ N, 86° 12.224′ W. Marker is in Douglas, Michigan, in Allegan County. Marker is at the intersection of Center Street and Mixer Street, on the left when traveling east on Center Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 130 W Center Street, Douglas MI 49406, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Old School House (a few steps from this marker); Welcome to Historic Douglas (within shouting distance of this marker); Francis Metallic Surfboat (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Asa Goodrich House (within shouting distance of this marker); Dutcher Lodge No. 193 / Douglas (within shouting distance of this marker); Mt. Baldhead (within shouting distance of this marker); Sarah M. Kirby House (approx. 0.2 miles away); New Singapore (approx. Ό mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Douglas.
More about this marker. Marker is clearly visible from the street.
Building now houses a museum and there are other historical displays on site.
Also see . . . Old School House at Saugatuck-Douglas Historical Society. (Submitted on July 31, 2011, by Dave Zollinger of Goshen, Indiana.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 8, 2017. It was originally submitted on July 31, 2011, by Dave Zollinger of Goshen, Indiana. This page has been viewed 632 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on May 12, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. 2, 3. submitted on July 31, 2011, by Dave Zollinger of Goshen, Indiana. 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 12, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.