Middleton in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Big Church on the Hillside
This plaque commemorates the present edifice which served its congregation until 1947 when regular services were discontinued and the congregation dissolved.
The building is being preserved and a memorial service is held annually to perpetuate the memory of the religious faith of the early settlers who started "The Big Church on the Hill".
Dedicated by the Middleton Historical Society, September 5, 1979
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is September 5, 1847.
Location. 43° 4.518′ N, 89° 32.216′ W. Marker is in Middleton, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is at the intersection of Pleasant View RoadTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4022 Pleasant View Road, Middleton WI 53562, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Second Herbert and Katherine Jacobs House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Middleton's Beginning (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Lemcke Farm House (approx. 2 miles away); Early Social Whirl (approx. 2.6 miles away); The Stamm House (approx. 2.9 miles away); Hocheera (approx. 3 miles away); Thorstrand (approx. 3 miles away); Hickory Hill House (approx. 3.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Middleton.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 31, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 432 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 31, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.